i'm alive and well

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Arguing with Religion

I am not a religious person. I doubt I will ever be a religious person- I'm just not that type of person. I once was Catholic, a long time ago, and far far away, now I'm agnostic. I'm rather certain in my uncertainty, and nothing you can say will change that. I've read the Bible, I went to church, and I've decided that in no way do I believe in a God. I'm perfectly content, in fact, to live my life god-less.
I can see you now, dear reader, looking at my words, squinting, perhaps, and saying all of your arguements for gods and such, but that not exactly why I'm here. I'm here, typing in my room, reflecting on the debate (read: arguement) I had with a fellow student in my math class. My friend, Sara and I were discussing my being agnostic, and a student behind us named Manny Torres (read: my biggest pain in the rear) overheard. Sara and I told him we didn't want to get into the religion talk- after all, it always ends with an over-pretentious person looking like a donkey, and neither Sara nor I wanted to be that person.
Manny insisted. The argument commenced. Oh, was it an argument. I suppose it was a bit more like a debate in the aspect that we weren't really angry at each other, we're both just awfully passionate about the topic. Anyway...
It was a rather loud discussion- thinking about it now, I'm surprised none of us were yelled at more than we already were, or thrown out. And, to Manny's credit, though I've heard him utter less than intelligent statements, he had fairly reasonable arguments. However, like most people (myself included), it was hard for him to see past the one thing he believes in. I'm not saying that's a bad thing- who knows, maybe my life would be better, easier, more fufilled, etc. if I had something like religion to believe in- but when you're trying to make an argument, this quality tends to dim any and all points you make.
Does that make sense? Ah well.
<3Risky Business<3

No comments:

Post a Comment